Raven-Symone Continues

12:26 PM By


Raven-Symone started being publicly awesome when she was just a very, very young child on "The Cosby Show," and she hasn't stopped since. She was especially awesome a few weeks ago when she discussed labels with Oprah Winfrey, and how she didn't agree with them. You remember:

"I'm tired of being labeled. I'm an American. I'm not an African American; I'm an American. ... I mean, I don't know where my roots go to. I don't know how far back they go ... I don't know what country in Africa I'm from, but I do know that my roots are in Louisiana. I'm an American. And that's a colorless person. ... I don't label myself. I have darker skin. I have a nice, interesting grade of hair. I connect with Caucasian. I connect with Asian. I connect with Black. I connect with Indian. I connect with each culture."It was a nice sentiment, and something that Raven obviously believes to be true for herself. But, of course, she made a lot of people angry with that. But you know what? She really just does not care:

I don't take offense to those that are mad at my personal opinion of myself. Like before, I'm glad there are conversations happening. Our generation tends to stay comfortable ,at times, with issues and topics that need to be addressed ... What does irritate me is the bullying tone towards myself and other opinions in the blog. Keep your disrespectful, mean, hurtful, words in a diary for yourself. Personal attacking is not needed, and no matter what race, nationality, culture, or womb you came out of; strive for respect. Strive to be virtuous, so the conversation can lead to great things, other things ... We have reached a standstill in our progression as Humans. Let's have a floor of RESPECT, KINDNESS, OPENMINDED-nESS. Showing your disagreement with my personal comments by using language you were not allowed to use as a child is just [frowny face].

That's from an open letter she posted on her Facebook page, and there's a little more where that came from. But she has a point, right? It's great that she doesn't get upset because she has critics, because everyone has critics and it would be too exhausting to worry about them all, and her point that respect and kindness is necessary is a lovely one.

Keep on keepin' on, Raven. You obviously know exactly what you're talking about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment